An ode to Guru



Growing up we were taught to begin any new venture praying to Lord Ganesha and seeking blessings from your elders and Gurus. This would lead our journey on the path to success and positivity.


My journey with The Raaga Room has just begun with the choicest blessings, wishes from friends & family. When the thought of starting The Raaga Room came to mind, I approached it with nervous excitement. What really validated the concept was how favorably people reacted with conviction.


The Origin

During one of my recent music lessons,  I was seated at a place from where I could see the beautiful and rich fall colors outside. It was a beautiful sunny morning and we were discussing Raag Bhairav and why this raaga has to be rendered in the mornings.  

My Guru Omkarji, went on to explain the origin and affinity of Komal Re on Sa, and in it's playfulness and with the security of Sa, Re flowing tenderly exhibiting it's komal nature and the progression of notes and how this signified the progression of the day. He articulated this concept so beautifully.  Beautiful things like this need to be heard, shared and experienced. That's when the idea of The Raaga Room was conceived.


Guru Bin Gyaan Na Paawe

Man Morakh Soch Kaahe Pachtaawe


This popular bandish set to Raag Marwa, just about sums up the need of a Guru in one's life. In Sanskrit, the word Guru, literally means the dispeller of darkness. The one that helps you align with your interest, explore, introspect and begin your journey towards light, is a Guru. Just as a child learns by watching a parent, a disciple learns from watching his/her Guru.. not just the craft, but also the values, respect, discipline, their approach to facing a challenge, patience to understand that the path we are on, is a long and winding one.. and one needs to savor every part of this journey.  


I  consider  myself a grateful beneficiary of being born into a family that has a deep inclination to music. Just as any other South Indian family, we grew up listening to Dasara Padas, Bhavageete, learning Geete, Varnams and Krithis. With each lesson, came the appreciation of it's bhava (a feeling of the tune), the arrangement of notes, and the rendition itself. Hindustani music came along like a mysterious friend and the very many forms that it brought with it. The journey through it all has been nothing but endearing. 


I have been fortunate to be in a magical bubble of music due to which I have experienced many magical moments. Every moment that brought me close to these experiences brought me closer to The Raaga Room. Respectfully thanking my Gurus and seeking their blessings, I'd like to inititate, The Raaga Room, which I sincerely hope will fill your mind with pure & blissful music.

Comments

Post a Comment